Sunday, October 21, 2012

Life in Guam

Hard to believe we have been here a month already.  So much has happened and so many new experiences.  We are getting settled and starting to establish a routine.  Obliviously, Guam is an island and that brings with it some unique circumstances.  Life moves at a slower pace and things don't always work the way we think we should.  We had a few Guam moments, as we have decided to call them, this week.  For example, my kids and I went to the grocery store. When we got there, the lights were all out.  This is something I have never encountered in the the states and I am kind of  looking at others thinking....um lights?  No one else seemed to think it was a big deal.  I stood there for a few moments and then got out my cell phone and tried to shop with the pitiful light the screen provides.  Another very Guam thing is carabaos, something I had never heard of before.  It is a large animal, similar to a water buffalo.  They are generally used as a pack animal or to pull a plow.  Not only are they popular because of their practical use, they are kind of a mascot here.   There are several stone ones around the island.
My favorite carabao so far.





They advertise too!
We saw this on the side of the road.
Quite the trio, so Guam!

The dogs on the carabaos back are called boonie dogs meaning they are wild.  There are lots of stray dogs here.  MOST of them are nice, although a few have made my heart rate soar coming at me while I am  running.   Poor Sierra wants to bring home every one she sees.  The other animal that is all over the island is chickens.  Funny, the dogs don't seem to go for the chickens.  I see them running around together all the time here.

One part of Guam we don't love, but are dealing with are the prices.  We knew things would be more expensive, but holy moley.  The sticker shock is something I have to prepare myself for before I head into the store and try not hear the total the clerk tells me, I just hand over the card. 
I think they reason it won't seem so bad in smaller quantities, but do the math $10/gal for milk.

Missing our freezer full of yummy northwest berries.


Ice cream is no longer an evening ritual, maybe for Christmas?









Quirks, pricey groceries and all Guam is starting to feel like home.  I am finding there are new things to enjoy every day.   We still have lots of things to learn about and explore...one day at a time.
Scoping out this week's snorkel spot.
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a little Guam sunshine on a cloudy NW day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, I am glad your doing this blog, and that everyone can read it. It looks like a beautiful place. I would have gone with my family in a second! I would die if milk was $10 a gallon!!! I could live without the ice cream. I look forward to more pictures. Angela Sheldon

    ReplyDelete